RSS : Articles / Comments



"POLL QUESTION"
Should the Shores' Community Pool be open to all homeowners?
CLICK THIS LINK TO REGISTER AND VOTE
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Click the above image to listen in

WHAT MAKES A GOOD BOARD MEMBER?

11:57 AM, Posted by Editorial Staff, No Comment

April 6, 2010

An active, well-informed, well-trained board of directors is absolutely essential to the success of an organization, especially that of a community association. By agreeing to be nominated, board members accept the responsibility for managing a community association, and this requires skill, good will, knowledge, patience and commitment. Most boards of directors willingly make this significant investment of their time anticipating that, in return, they will have a rewarding experience by protecting and enhancing the property values of the homes in their community, and enjoying the opportunity to build relationships with and among neighbors.

The following self-evaluation provides an analysis of your own strengths and weaknesses as a board member.

Please grade yourself as a board member and as a decision maker. An honest self-assessment should give you a rating of your effectiveness as a board member. Circle the letter that best describes your grade for each statement. The grades should indicate your strengths and weaknesses as you participate in the decision-making process for your community association so that you know what skills and competencies you should improve.

1. Unless I am sick or a real emergency occurs, I attend all board meetings and am on time.
A B C D F

2. I carry my share of the responsibility of the board and will do any tasks that I can to see that business is conducted properly and efficiently.
A B C D F

3. I read my board packet in advance, contact the appropriate person with questions instead of waiting for the meeting, and am well prepared for meetings.
A B C D F

4. I have read the association’s governing documents and rules and regulations.
A B C D F

5. I really want to serve our association. I have no personal agenda and expect no hidden financial rewards for serving.
A B C D F

6. I am a team player who does not allow my emotions or disagreements with other board members to interfere with my objectivity in making decisions. I try to make decisions that are in the best interest of the association.
A B C D F

7. I do my best to present a good image of the board to the public. I do not make negative comments that produce friction and disharmony among board members.
A B C D F

8. I am knowledgeable about our association, our governing documents and rules and regulations and other information that would benefit me as a board member.
A B C D F

9. I understand that I am a role model to my neighbors and must always comply with the governing documents.
A B C D F

10. I understand the parliamentary procedure rules we use for conducting business such as following an agenda, making motions and finalizing business decisions.
A B C D F

11. I keep current on issues affecting our association.
A B C D F

Remember that even though the role of the board of directors is important, the board will still need homeowner and committee support to accomplish goals.

Great boards don’t just happen. It takes a lot of work to make a board effective. They need vision and leadership – the ability to see the big picture and to help create and, if necessary, revise strategy and policy to help the association achieve its mission.

Written by: Linda Bartel
, PCAM®, AMS®, LSM®
Keywords
St. Augustine Shores Homeowner Association
St. Augustine Shores, Shores Service Corporation
St. Augustine Shores Condominium
Conquistador Condominium, Greens Condominium
Greens II Condominium, Fairview Condominium
Casa Bella Condominium, St. Augustine Shores News



CLICK BELOW FOR YOUR SHORES COMMUNITY NEWS